Diagnosing the Common Problem
If for some reason you think that your engine has a blown head gasket here is a definate way to tell...besides the heater not working...and loss of coolant..and maybe some visable smoke..thats not black heres what you do
* Let the engine cool down all the way
* Make sure the radiator is full of coolant
* With the engine COLD, start the engine with the cap off the radiator
* If It Boils over...I'm sorry to say..you have one of two things, a blown head gasket(If your lucky)....and, or a Cracked Head.
The Procedure to figure out which head gasket is blown or which head is cracked is below
* Remove the thermostat housing and the thermostat......BE SURE THE ENGINE IS COLD!!!
* Be sure coolant is visable in the engine..if not fill it to the top (with thermostat housing off)
* Disconnect ALL drive belts..Or everything is getting soaked!
* Start the engine COLD..It will Bubble out the side where the problem is
- <------ The 350 Diesel Page